Sunday, April 8, 2012

Nizza, New York NY

I love heading into the city for a Broadway show and with the re-release of Evita I just knew I had to go check it out.  I was happy to hear Ricky Martin was in it, (not playing Eva Peron) but the male lead role "Che".  I just can't head into the City and not make it an adventure, so I called "Connie Corleone" and we did some R&D and headed out.

Evita is playing @ the Marquis Theatre and located near by is Nizza.  The web site states "Dinner & a show. Meet me @ Nizza", so true.  Our show was @ 8p so we made a 5:30 reservation.  Not realizing it was Easter weekend and the normal travel time of 30 minutes turned into an hour and a half.  Just a side note...paying $12 for the Lincoln tunnel & having 10 lanes merge into 2 lanes.....Sucks. Any way, we called the restaurant and they told us they would honor our reservation.  We didn't arrive until around 630 and I must admit our anxiety level was very high due to only having an hour and fifteen minutes before we had to head out for the show. Our waitress Quan came over and made us feel at ease right away by telling us you have plenty of time and don't worry.  The place was packed and we just didn't know if the food would be OK.  All of our worries went away as soon as we saw Danny Aiello leaving the restaurant rubbing his stomach in delight.....
We knew our food would be fine, or would it???

One of their house specialties is the crispy chickpea pancake cooked in the brick oven with sage, onions & pecorino. For apps we had the Eggplant Involtini and Clams Oreganata, littlenecks broiled with herb breadcrumbs, extra virgin olive oil & lemon.
For dinner we had the Branzino Fillet, fennel, potatoes, onions and olives
and the Wild Boar Lasagna, boar bolognese, crescenza cheese,
bechamel & parmesan.  All sucked back with a lovely bottle of Barbera.

We found the place had great synergy and it's always awesome seeing a room full of people having a great time. I must say that I was very surprised to notice the food lacking seasoning, almost flavorless in fact. The Branzino was excellent and the service was top notch.

On another note, Evita was great. I can honestly say that I've never been in a room with so many gay Caballeros in my life.  I wish I had brought my scarf.


One more note, in the lobby at intermission I noticed a foodie superhero Bob Tuschman, GM/Senior VP of the Food Network & the Cooking Channel. This guy rocks. To Bob, thank you for all you do in
entertaining us foodies.

www.nizzanyc.com

This venue get three out of four corks

The Spaniard

No comments:

Post a Comment