Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Porto Bello, Greenport Long Island NY

Not many foodies have the opportunity to revisit their first restaurant job...30 years later. I took a ride back home with my winebeau, aka Connie Corleone to relive my past. I called my sister and her husband, Henry and Karen Hill and we headed east. My brother in-law drove and during the ride Henry and Karen had their usual bickering back and forth until Henry gently backhanded Karen and the conversation was over.


In the past, the route to the end of the Island was covered in beautiful farms with fresh grown fruits and vegetables.  During the past 30 years many families sold their land out to the up and growing wineries.  We decided to take advantage of the ride and visit some of the wineries.  At our second stop, while waiting to purchase Pellegrini Vineyards Estate Grown Merlot, a tall dark figure walked in.  Connie walked up to me and said "That's Rudy Giuliani" and I, of course, dismissed it.  Henry agreed and dismissed it also. At this time Henry's cell phone started ringing as Karen was calling from outside making the same claim as Connie.  Fellas, as much as we hate to admit it, they are always right.  I had to go up to him and discover the truth.  As I reached out my hand to him and said "our ladies are...." he stopped me and replied "yes, it's me".  I shook his hand and moved on.

As we arrived to the quaint little town of Greenport my mind started to explode with wonderful memories of the past. We walked into the restaurant and I have to tell you that besides some minor modifications and 30 coats of paint it was exactly the same as I left it......

We went to the bar so I could soak it all in (and have a cocktail of course).  Connie, Karen and Henry all sat quietly while I babbled stories of the past.  We sat down for dinner and I ordered some appetizers,  Fresh Steamed Mussels, Clams Oreganato and home made fresh mozzarella & tomatoes, served with roasted peppers, fresh basil & extra virgin olive oil.  Mussels had great flavor as Henry and I dove in, however the Clams were only okay lacking texture and the home made fresh mozzarella was bland and the tomatoes had no taste at all which is always disappointing during the summer season.  How do you not have a nice, ripe flavorful fresh locally grown tomato??

For dinner I ordered Veal Milanese, tender medallion of veal topped with baby greens, fresh mozzarella, capers & chopped tomatoes drizzled with lemon vinaigrette and olive oil.  Mine was just not good, the breading completly seperated from the veal.  Being a Monday it was clearly prepared on Friday hoping to sell out for the weekend.  Karen ordered Shrimp Scampi, fresh jumbo shrimp sauteed with garlic, white wine & herb butter served over rice or linguine.  Karen had it over pasta, had tons of flavor but the pasta was clearly overcooked.  Connie and Henry ordered from a special daily menu, Seared Scallops with a pineapple risotto, scallops were cooked perfectly and both Connie and Henry loved the risotto. Well done.....

Going out is all about creating memories and enjoying each others company, even though I may not have enjoyed our dining experience completely I was extremly happy to relive my past with family and friends.

On a scale of 1 thru 4 corks, this venue gets 2 corks


http://www.portobellonorthfork.com/

The Spainard

No comments:

Post a Comment