Wednesday, February 23, 2011

White Dog Cafe, University City Philadelphia

I love going into the city, Philly is full of culinary delight and I just located another one.....

We went there for lunch and right away I know it was going to be great. I have a simple practice when it comes to eating and preparing food, keep it fresh, local, have fun & explore. 

The White Dog Cafe is three adjacent Victorian brownstones that is located on Sansom Street. From the moment you walk in you feel as if you just entered a cool & hip spot in town. Nice size bar with an open kitchen, a little to open I think.

We started with the Wild Mushroom soup, I'm not a true lover of the "Fungus" but I have grown to appreciate it's many different applications. Many times I will refer to something as "The best thing I have ever had" and it's true when I say it or until I find something even better. I must say that the mushroom soup at the White Dog cafe was the best I have ever had. It was truly a treat. After regaining my composure from the soup we had the Meadow Run Country Smoked Ham Sandwich & the Heirloom Apple Salad, Both had a beautiful presentation and tasted outstanding. The double smoked cheddar with the jalapeno pepper relish with the ham was a perfect combination. The salad was a meal in it's self, beautiful golden raisins, candied walnuts and local blue cheese. At this point I was considering cancelling our reservations at Amis (A Vetri restaurant), and returning for dinner. You also need to check out their gourmet hot dog menu....

The White Dog Cafe is been around for 28 years and I'm sure it will be around for many more due to it's Practice of "from the farm to our kitchen to your table".

Thank you Judy Wick and your staff for a great day out.....

website is whitedog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment